The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer - Michelle Hodkin || Book Review ||

by - July 25, 2014

Title: The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer
Author: Michelle Hodkin
Genre: Young Adult
Rating: 4.5/5

Synopsis: Good Reads 

Review: 


I know I like this book, no I love this book. It is phenomenal, I wasn’t completely captivated but I don’t have a single complaint at all. Everything flowed so beautifully. From the writing, the characters, and the plot twist you never see coming. I love Hodkins writing, it’s so vivid and clear, every sentence written perfectly. Words flying off the pages creating an image. 
I love the different murky vibe the book gave off. I didn’t find it creepy, just really intriguing and suspenseful. I loved that when I felt confused (because you will) she cleared it up. Left me with no questions expect in the end… And my god is that the most torturous way to end a book. I was so dumb founded for about an hour or so just staring. Not moving, blinking, or swallowing but just staring at the wall trying to soak in the last two pages. 


I’m in love with the characters! For some reason, “Mara”: I love it more that she’s mixed racially. I feel like in books our main protagonist are usually just White. You sort of don’t think about them being anything else because well that’s the norm and what we are accustomed to. I love how her friendship with Noah was built. They have such beautiful personalities, both so witty and sarcastic. (My two favorite characteristics!) I also really enjoyed their love, how strong and passionate they both are. Each one of them caring so much for each other and their families. 

Can I ask for a better book? Hell no. This book is beyond what I expected. Even though I wasn’t completely enthralled, I was in love. With everything, the characters, writing, and even the plot twist. The book is just a fast read, especially since the chapters are short. You’ll end up flying through the book! I suggest you buy both the first and second in the same day since you know cliff hanger, though I heard book two has a TERRIBLE cliff hanger. I can’t wait to share my thoughts to you all. I highly recommend this to everyone. Beware though, you’ll end up like me.. a bit delirious

You May Also Like

0 comments