The Winner's Curse - Marie Rutkoski || Review

by - January 24, 2015

Title: The Winner's Curse (The Winner's Trilogy #1)
Author: Marie Rutkoski
Genre: Young Adult
Rating:

Synopsis: Goodreads

Review:

The first half of this book felt to be a drag. I couldn't get into it. The new world was so hard to adjust to, and more so the point of view. I hope you all fall easier into the book than I did. It is told in third person, and I detest third person. When I read the first page, I swear I rolled by eyes so high up it touched the heavens. The writing it's self, the description, and characters: were all fantastic. I very much enjoyed each character, they weren't a cliche. Each person had so much depth, and the details she placed in your head to create this beautiful movie was great. I love the forbidden love aspect, huge fan of all things forbidden over here.

I just really wished it didn't take me eighteen chapters so finally get excited and into the book. But I promise once I was interested, I was hooked. A goner for sure. I couldn't put the book down. Sneaking a page at work here and there, maybe more than a page... Okay a chapter. The last hundred pages are amazing! I love Kestrel and Arin’s character. How he’s not ashamed of his feelings for her. Sometimes he thinks he’s being slick but he’s actually being really obvious and it’s so adorable.

“My soul is yours” he said. “You know that it is.” 

The over all plot was brilliant. It was constructed so well. The plot twist: some I saw coming, others hit me like a tsunami. I still don’t fully understand a lot of the things happening in the book. I’m confused about “the god of lies, and the whole understanding thing" from the last two pages.. Now that I’ve finished I actually appreciate the third person point of view. I got to see everything, their facial expressions, when one was lying/hurt, it felt more personal than first person. It’s a better alternative to interchanging chapters. Surprisingly I didn’t find the ending to be heartbreaking/sad. Kestrel did something so selfless for the greater good of the Herrani people, and I respect her so much for it. I warn you though, do not listen to “A drop in the ocean - Ron Pope” after (like I did) you will cry like a helpless baby. I highly recommend this book. It’s filled with action, forbidden love, and beautiful lyrical words. 

You May Also Like

0 comments