If I stay(#1) - Gayle Forman || Review ||

by - February 14, 2014

Barnes &Nobles | Amazon
Title: If I stay
Author: Gayle Forman
Genre: Young Adult
Rating: 2 out of 5 stars!

Synopsis: Good Reads

Review:
I'm really disappointed with this novel. I've read so many great reviews on good reads, amazon, and even barnes and nobles! I'm not satisfied at all. I couldn't relate. The way it was written just didn't work for me. One chapter you're in the present the next you're in the past and it was just a repeating cycle each chapter. I found myself bored out of my skull, wanting to skip all the "past chapters" but didn't. I feel like this book is just one HUGE filler, that if I read the first and last chapter I would totally understand and wouldn't have to read the rest. Also I found it to be a bit unrealistic, how does a person see their fathers "brain on the floor" and just continue walking with out feeling anything/ no emotions.. Still I didn't feel the "sad, heart wrenching moments" other people felt. I will say though that, I found one thing to be sad. Which was the part where Mia's Gramp's came into talk to her and the last chapter which was Adam's vow. I also did enjoy one other thing, which was when they talk about Mia and Adams past. I felt as it was the only entertaining factor to me.
  • Mia has to be one of the most boring characters in a novel. She's suppose to be this huge different girl, that is born into a Rock and Roll family but happens to love Classical music and plays the cello. But nooooooo she's simple and lifeless.
  • Adam is Mia's boyfriend who's a year older. Again, I found him to be a bit too perfect to be a character in this "heart-wrenching" novel. He's suppose to be dark, punk rock, but I found him to be the opposite.
And of course being the hopeless romantic I am, I needed to know what happened to Adam and Mia.. So I read the second book.. Sorry Gayle Forman it just wasn't for me..
I would never say "I don't recommend this" because everyone is different. I didn't enjoy the way she interchanged the chapters. Of course someone else will. It wasn't a great plot,  wasn't moving or heart wrenching as everyone described but it was tolerable. Good luck, maybe you'll enjoy it.

You May Also Like

0 comments